Sunday, November 24, 2013

How to address a misdemeanor charge on my record when applying to pharmacy school?

Question:
Great blog you're maintaining! Keep it up!
Anyway here's my situation. I was convicted of a misdemeanor-reckless endangerment charge in 2012. I'm currently on unsupervised probation, which will end april 2014. It was because i discharged a pellet gun in my backyard. How serious is such a thing to the admission offices? I'm concerned because my first choice is a very competitive school. How should i address it? In my personal statement? During the interview? I've been prepping hard for the PCAT in Jan and my GPA is decent (3.6). I wouldn't want it all to be for naught.



Answer:
I don't think it will be a serious issue for most AdComs - I've seen worse charges overlooked by committee members before, but it sometimes also only takes 1 vocal member to derail an application.  Mention it in your statement and acknowledge that it was a foolish action. If the schools have questions, I assure you they will ask for more information. 

Good luck.

No comments: